The INFEWS traineeship program is for PhD or MS students pursing a degree in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) at UCLA. Participating campus entities include: the Division of Life Sciences, the Division of Physical Sciences, the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, and the Institute of the Environment and Sustainability. In addition to the normal requirements of their degree program, INFEWS trainees will participate in additional training elements. These elements are designed to enrich the graduate experience without extending time to degree.
Applications will be accepted from prospective and current graduate students. Exceptional incoming PhD students may be offered a one-year fellowship ($34,000/year plus tuition and fees). Fellowships are limited to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. International students are eligible to join the program, but will not be eligible for fellowships. Students from diverse backgrounds and those traditionally underrepresented are especially encouraged to apply.
Graduate students recently admitted to UCLA for the 2018-2019 academic year are welcome to apply to be included in the upcoming cohort.
steps to apply
1. Apply to UCLA’s graduate school.
(This need not be done first but please be sure to apply to graduate school by the deadline of the department you are applying to.)
2. Download the application for INFEWS.
3. Obtain INFEWS application supplemental materials:
- Undergraduate school transcript (official transcripts)
- Graduate school transcript if applicable (official transcripts)
- GRE scores showing percentile ratings. These need not be original records; copies are acceptable.
- Proposed research activities
- (2) Letters of recommendation
4. Submit the INFEWS application and supplemental materials to:
CNSI at UCLA
570 Westwood Plaza, Bldg 114
Los Angeles, CA 90095-7227
Materials sent via email should be addressed to the Program Manager (email@example.com).